SUPPORTING CHILDREN WITH SPECIAL EDUCATIONAL NEEDS POLICY FOR PARENTS
We provide an environment in which all children, including those with special educational needs, are supported to reach their full potential.
- We follow the DfE Special Educational Needs Code of Practice for children age 0-25 years
- We ensure our provision is inclusive to all children with special educational needs.
- We support parents and children with special educational needs (SEN)
- We identify the specific needs of children with special educational needs and meet those needs through a range of SEN strategies
- We work in partnership with parents and other agencies in meeting individual children's needs
- We monitor and review our policy, practice and provision and, if necessary, make adjustments.
- We ensure that the provision for children with special educational needs is the responsibility of all members of the school.
- Our inclusive admissions practice ensures equality of access and opportunity.
- We use the graduated response system for identifying, assessing and responding to children's special educational needs.
- Children with additional needs are included in a small Key Person group with their Key Person, who puts in place strategies to ensure that however complex their needs are, they are enabled to participate within that group and make their own individual choices.
- We work closely with parents of children with special educational needs to create and maintain a positive partnership.
- We ensure that parents are informed at all stages of the assessment, planning, provision and review of their children's education.
- We provide parents with information on sources of independent advice and support.
- We liaise with other professionals involved with children with special educational needs and their families, including transfer arrangements to other settings and schools.
- We provide a broad, balanced and differentiated curriculum for all children with special educational needs.
- We use a system of planning, implementing, monitoring, evaluating and reviewing individual Learning Pathways (ILPs) for children with special educational needs.
- We ensure that children with special educational needs are appropriately involved at all stages of the graduated response, taking into account their levels of ability.
- We have systems in place for supporting children during Early Years Action, Early Years Action Plus, and Education Health Care Assessment.
- We use a system for keeping records of the assessment, planning, provision and review for children with special educational needs.
- We provide resources (human and financial) to implement our Special Educational Needs Policy.
- We provide in-service training for parents, practitioners and volunteers.
- We ensure the effectiveness of our special educational needs provision by collecting information from a range of sources e.g. Individual Learning Pathway reviews, staff and management meetings, parental and external agency's views, inspections and complaints. This information is collated, evaluated and reviewed annually.
- We provide a complaints procedure.
- We monitor and review our policy annually.